Accessibility Guide for Surf Bay Holiday Park
Surf Bay Holiday Park is a completely level park, with access across the burrows to the beach. Alternative access is available through the Village of Westward Ho!, just 5 minutes away. We have caravan & apartment holiday home accommodation, most with views of the Country Park (Burrows).
- One of our caravan holiday homes is a factory built 2 bedroom (level 2) wheelchair access caravan (Albatross Wheelchair Access at Surf Bay Holiday Park - wider exterior doors, extra space in all rooms for manoeuvrability, lower lever units, handrails and switches, sockets and appliance controls at appropriate heights.
- Ramp access leads to a fully adapted spacious interior. All rooms are on ground level and are fully accessible for wheelchair users, including the ‘wet room’ bathroom. Wider exterior doors, lower level units, handrails and switches, sockets & appliance controls placed at appropriate heights are just some of the advantages.
- All other caravan holiday homes on the park are accessible by 2-4 steps all of which have parking alongside the accommodation. Our apartments are also accessible via steps, for confirmation on number of steps in your accommodation, please ask the park on booking.
- There is a 5 mph speed limit throughout the park with clearly marked speed bumps in several locations. The speed bumps are not severe, therefore it is possible to wheel a wheelchair over them. Immediately outside the Reception area and at the entrance to the park can be used as a drop off point. There is a car park next to Reception.
- Our Launderette, Reception and Information Room are situated in one building on ground level. Each facility has its own access and has a small threshold at the door. All facilities are open 8.30 am-5.00 pm. When Reception is closed there is an emergency number available on the main door and in your Welcome Packs on arrival.
- Takeaway facilities and restaurants are available in the village, a 5 minute walk or short drive away. There is plenty of parking in the village next to each of the conveniences. We are happy to take deliveries of groceries on your behalf.
- Colour schemes throughout all accommodation and park buildings have been designed to provide a good contrast between floors, walls and doorways. The public buildings and park area have signs. We can remove furniture in some of our accommodation if you should require more space.
- Wheelchairs are not currently available to hire from the park, however we are happy to accept delivery of such provisions on your behalf. The Red Cross hire wheelchairs and other various medical items for free with a small refundable deposit on 0845 3313331.
- Mobile phone coverage for Vodafone, O2 and Orange networks are good in all areas of the park.
- The nearest train station is in Barnstaple which is approximately 8 miles away. The local firm Number 6 Taxi's – 01237 666666 has access to a people carrier with wheelchair access. There is a bus service that runs along Golf Links Road every half an hour. The bus stop is 100 yards to the right of the park along the pathway. Upon your arrival, our staff can help you with your luggage.
- Assistance Dogs are very welcome and at no extra charge, however we do ask that they are exercised off of the park. Direct access to the Country Park is at the bottom of our site where there are acres of grassland for you to walk your dog.
- All managerial staff are there to help. If you feel you need help at anytime, please request assistance with any member of staff.